Business and Technology
My name is Gabriel Nijmeh and I assess business problems using detailed analysis. To analyze is to think, discover, understand, question assumptions and to challenge the status quo. Regardless of industry, the goal is to improve processes and solve problems that measurably impact margins and revenues.
I am an experienced business analysis professional with hands-on technology experience. I have experience managing client and developer relationships, having led and supported projects from product launches, system conversions, and the integration of technology in business operations.
Give me a call: 647.231.1338, email and connect with me.
Toronto Beer Week
November 2015 - Present
Toronto Beer Week (TBW) is a 9 day series of events (Sept 15-23, 2017) dedicated to the celebration and advancement of Toronto's local craft beer community. TBW showcases locally brewed and flavourful beer, the talented brewers who create them, and the bars and restaurants who proudly support them.
I have been part of Toronto Beer Week since 2012 having started out by helping to automate our processes (online payments/CRM), registering bars/breweries, managing our website/social media and providing support to the Executive Committee. In November 2015, I was nominated and accepted the position of Executive Director.
Our mission is:
- to promote and encourage the appreciation of craft beer
- to educate people about craft beer
- to increase awareness and market share of craft beer
- to support local craft breweries and licensees that serve craft beer by promoting products to existing and new consumers
- Develop and maintain professional business relationships with key stakeholders in the brewery community, bars/restaurants, tourism, LCBO, AGCO and city government officials.
- Develop with the Directors the annual budget and manage approved budget against set financial goals.
- Develop and manage project plans to ensure critical tasks are completed on time and on budget..
- Lead and direct the design of an annual printed Toronto beer guide.
- Negotiate ad and sponsorship deals with local businesses and partners.
- Sell Toronto Beer Week registration and beer guide ads to breweries and bars.
- Develop registration reporting and analytics to identify and prioritize opportunities.
- Actively engage volunteers, board members, executive committee and craft beer business partners to promote and support growth of craft beer in Toronto.
- Plan and coordinate meetings of the Board of Directors and provide regular update through monthly/ quarterly reporting.
- Manage social media channels and ensure we connect with craft beer consumers and partners.
- Field phone calls and emails from Toronto Beer Week partners and media contacts.
- Recruit, interview and manage volunteer team to assist with marketing, PR/communications and event initiatives.
- Increased Toronto Beer Week ad sales by 50% year-over-year.
- Increased Toronto Beer Week bar/brewery paid registrations by 50%.
- Increased Toronto Beer Week revenue by over 90% through increased ad sales and partner registrations.
- Introduced an online registration and payment platform which reduced manual processing and paperwork to near zero.
Product Owner / Business Analyst
360 InsightsOctober 2013 - Present
Sales Channel Incentive & Analytics Software
- Lead and coach team that develops product capabilities, product roadmaps and implementation plans.
- Create, prioritize and maintain product backlog for developers according to business value.
- Elaborate themes, initiatives, and features into user stories that are granular enough to be achieved in an iteration of work.
- Lead daily scrums and participate in product roadmap meetings, product owner meetings, and retrospectives.
- Extensive facilitation, problem solving, consensus building, and issue resolution skills across departments.
- Gather analysis of product specifications and enhancements and elicited internal/external user feedback to develop product roadmap.
- Reduced development effort by 80% by developing a real-time, self-serve portal for business users to view and update data feed jobs.
- Implemented standard and repeatable business processes that reduced development effort by 35%.
- Increased margins from 70% to 90% by moving from a manual to automated sales file process.
Draught Beer Quality Auditor
BetterBeerSeptember 2013 - Present
BetterBeer are industry recognized specialists who help hospitality professionals sell and serve better quality beer. We help improve draught beer quality, profitability, & sales.
- Conduct monthly multi-checkpoint draught beer audit to identify issues and make recommendations to bar owners that helps reduce spillage and maximize revenue.
- Monitor and report to bar owners draught temperatures, date codes on kegs, proper keg rotation, glasswasher cleanliness and beer glass cleanliness.
- Educate bar owners, managers and staff on proper keg rotation, beer serving temperature, proper beer pours and beer clean glassware with the goal to improve draught beer quality, profitability, & sales.
- Identified draught system issues and recommended improvements that increased average audit scores from 63% to 92%.
Senior Business Analyst
IFDSJuly 1999 - October 2013
IFDS provides technology and service solutions designed to help companies in the financial industry achieve their business goals.
- Elicit requirements using client interviews, document analysis, and requirement workshops amongst multiple stakeholders and critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources.
- Research, define and document detailed business requirements and release notes for the development and implementation of system changes to support mutual fund and insurance clients business operations..
- Conduct requirement walkthroughs with product managers, development teams, clients and external vendors.
- Serve as a liaison between client, product management and systems development teams.
- Collaborate with developers and subject matter experts to establish technical solutions, design prototypes and analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs.
- Manage and develop effective day-to-day client facing relationships on multi-million dollar development projects.
- Provide project management support by developing project plans and monitoring project progress against delivery milestones.
- First team in Canada to develop a back-end record keeping software used to power the first and market leading segregated fund product.
Education and Certifications
- Beer Steward - Master Brewers Association of the Americas
- Certified Bartender/Server - BetterBeer.com
- Smart Serve - The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO)
- Information Technology Institute - Diploma, September 1996 - August 1997
- University of Toronto - BA Management, September 1991 - April 1994